Live World Indices are powered by Investing.com
Monday, 29 August 2016
EYE on the World - Global Physics: An Unsustainable Shrinking Pie
" Our Daily Shrinking Planetary Pie With More Mouths"
Humans are using too much crap.
That’s the official word from a new U.N. report on the use of natural resources. It found that, from the food we eat to the homes we live in to the fuels we burn, our rates of consumption are just unsustainable. That’s not too surprising, but the real shock is that our extraction of the primary materials used to make all of our stuff has more than tripled in the past 40 years.
“We urgently need to address this problem before we have irreversibly depleted the resources that power our economies and lift people out of poverty,” said the U.N.’s Alicia Bárcena Ibarra.
Strong winds combined with low demand on a sunny summer Sunday help Scotland reach ‘significant milestone’ on path towards ditching fossil fuels entirely
For the first time on record, wind turbines have generated more electricity than was used in the whole of Scotland on a single day.
An analysis by conservation group WWF Scotland found unseasonably stormy weather saw turbines create about 106 per cent of the total amount of electricity used by every home and business in the country on 7 August.
Gale-force winds lashed much of the country with a speed of 115mph recorded at the top of Cairngorm mountain.
Wealthy investors are stockpiling cash at levels we haven’t seen since 2001, in the wake of the Dot Com crash. The cash slush pile is larger even than in 2008 when investors fled the market during the Lehman collapse. According to a recent survey, large investors, including asset managers and institutional investors, have almost six percent of their holdings in cash. The amount of cash being squirreled away by just the world’s billionaires, not solely in the U.S., but worldwide, is estimated to beas high as $1.7 trillion dollars. That’s ten percent of the entire U.S. GDP.
There are a lot of reasons that the investment world has retreated to cash, but this is the first time it’s happened when there was no clear ongoing economic disaster. In other words, seasoned investors are behaving as if there’s been a market collapse at a time when equity markets continue to march higher—when to all outward appearances we’re in a boom.
- Rumors: Chinese Banks In Trouble As Bad Loans Acce...
- Banking And Finance Remain On Life Support
- EYE on the World - Global Physics: An Unsustainabl...
- Ultimately #China's Credit And Economic Expansion ...
- Brexit Just Another Non-Event
- Billionaire Ichan Warns Of #Meltdown
- Battening Down The Hatches At Deutsche Bank
- Serious Money Moving To The Sidelines
- Even Chinese Art Museums Feel Economic Woes
- EYE on the World - Old Chinese Curse...
- ALERT: George Soros Piling Into - Barrick Gold Cor...
- NO WIN: Global Pensions WILL Collapse Under Prolo...
- Contrarian Watch- As OPEC Increases Up-Talk, So Do...
- STOCKWATCH: Can Cisco Survive Another Meltdown?
- EYE on the World - Climate Encounters of a Third K...
- No End In Sight For #Eurozone Economic Gloom
- Deutsche Bank Collapse Will Spark Sharp Global #Me...
- IDEAS: Ag-Tech Offers $100 Million Start-up For Da...
- EU Economic Crisis Will Spread To #Britain
- Helicopter Money Or Blackhawk Down?
- Growing Outlook For 2017 Recession
- ▼ August (21)
- ► 2015 (91)