Live World Indices are powered by Investing.com
Monday, 1 August 2016
Growing Outlook For 2017 Recession
Inefficiencies in new economic infrastructure aren’t exactly new. Because the state doesn’t centrally plan and roll out new technologies in a completely rational fashion—matching demand, distribution, and supply—wrinkles and bubbles develop. Incentives may be available for one component of the technology but not for others. And so overinvestment in one stage of the process coincides with underinvestment in another stage. Which is why we have bubbles. The earliest telegraph lines from Boston to New York City stopped at the Hudson River—and messages had to be carried across the Hudson on a boat. In the 1990s, information would travel at rapid speeds across the country on fast cables but slow down in the last mile. (I wrote a book about this in 2007.)
In June, VW Group agreed to a $15 billion settlement with the Department of Justice. The agreement mandates that the automaker buy cars back from their owners at the price their vehicles were worth before VW Group’s cheating scandal came to light. Owners and lessees of affected diesels will also receive $5,100 to $10,000, depending on the vehicle (a graduated table of settlement payments can be found here). If CARB approves a fix for the affected diesels, owners could also opt to pass up the buyback and have their car fixed for free. That would save VW Group money out of the $10 billion set aside for buybacks.
Tesla reported a $293-million GAAP net loss for Q2, a 59% increase from the $184-million net loss for Q2 2015. This marks Tesla’s 13 th consecutive quarterly loss. However, Tesla also completed a $1.7-billion equity raise to end the quarter with $3.25 billion in cash. In Q2, Tesla delivered 14,402 new vehicles consisting of 9,764 Model S and 4,638 Model X. Tesla said that production and demand are on track to support deliveries of approximately 50,000 new Model S and Model X vehicles during the second half of 2016. Tesla said that it delivered fewer cars in Q2 than originally planned as a result of a steep production ramp, resulting in almost […]
- Rumors: Chinese Banks In Trouble As Bad Loans Acce...
- Banking And Finance Remain On Life Support
- EYE on the World - Global Physics: An Unsustainabl...
- Ultimately #China's Credit And Economic Expansion ...
- Brexit Just Another Non-Event
- Billionaire Ichan Warns Of #Meltdown
- Battening Down The Hatches At Deutsche Bank
- Serious Money Moving To The Sidelines
- Even Chinese Art Museums Feel Economic Woes
- EYE on the World - Old Chinese Curse...
- ALERT: George Soros Piling Into - Barrick Gold Cor...
- NO WIN: Global Pensions WILL Collapse Under Prolo...
- Contrarian Watch- As OPEC Increases Up-Talk, So Do...
- STOCKWATCH: Can Cisco Survive Another Meltdown?
- EYE on the World - Climate Encounters of a Third K...
- No End In Sight For #Eurozone Economic Gloom
- Deutsche Bank Collapse Will Spark Sharp Global #Me...
- IDEAS: Ag-Tech Offers $100 Million Start-up For Da...
- EU Economic Crisis Will Spread To #Britain
- Helicopter Money Or Blackhawk Down?
- Growing Outlook For 2017 Recession
- ▼ August (21)
- ► 2015 (91)